Thursday 9 February 2012

Lunch Box Treats

I thought today I would share with you some of the lunch box ideas I use. As a mother of 4 I can relate to how challenging lunch boxes can be!

I hate nothing more than when they come home hardly touched...

For me I want what I put in my children's lunch boxes to be

  1. healthy
  2. stuff they will eat
  3. quick
  4. low cost
  5. environmentally sound
Is this to much to much to ask???

I have to say for the majority of the luches I make I can tick all 5!  I have my lunch box failures but for the most happy well fed kids with empty luch boxes...

So here are a few ideas... and more to follow...

You may have seen this Honey Oat Slice before but I wanted to share with you some quick and low cost lunch box treats that I use on a day to day basis...


I often alter this recipe depending on whats in my pantry!

The base recipe for my Honey Oat Slice is as follows...


Honey Oat Slice

Ingredients

 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
1 cup (220g) self raising flour
125g butter
1 cup Honey Lady Raw Honey





 To Make

Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 18cm x 28cm slice pan with baking paper

In a large bowl, combine oats and flour.

Heat butter and honey in a small saucepan on low heat for 1-2 minutes, until butter has melted and mixture is well combined.

Make a well in centre of dry ingredients. Add butter mixture and combine well. Press firmly into prepared pan.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden.
Cool completely in pan. Cut into squares to serve.


Now what I think is really cool is the variations you can do... for example... for today's lunches I took...

1 cup SR Flour
1 cup shop bought muesli (carmens)
125g butter
3/4 cup cup gum honey
1/4 cup sultanas
1/4 cup sliver almonds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds...

And followed the same method as above and they were delish!! we actually ate them as breakfast on the way to school because we ran out of time for breaky!!!


Another great variation which is a personal fave is...

1 cup of oats
2 cups SR Flour
125g butter
1 cup of honey
1/2 cup dried apricot diced
1/2 cup of shredded coconut

And again same method as above...


A FEW MORE IDEAS....                                                                                How easy and cost effective is fruit and yoghurt with a drizzle of honey??

Other snack we do is popcorn... my kids love this with melted cinnamon honey and butter... totally YUM!

My kids really love a container of chick peas with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of herb salt...

A quick dip made with equal parts of quark and yogurt with chopped herbs and vegetable sticks...

Last nights roast veggies with pesto and lettuce....









 There are so many options to give our kids great lunch boxes that they will eat... be creative!!!





yours,



Honey Lady




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this...just what I have been looking for :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again Honey Lady...I have just made this and it is great! Look forward to trying your different suggested combinations :)

    ReplyDelete