Sunday 8 January 2012

Kangaroo Fillet with Spinach Salad, Fried Haloumi and Vine Ripe Tomatoes

This meal was inspired by an orange! After coming home from our holidays I went say hello to our chooks and go for a walk in the orchard to see how the fruit was ripening... (figs are days off being ripe!)... I noticed that our orange tree had a few oranges left on... I picked them thinking they'd be old and no good... but they were

~INCREDIBLE~

I had some roo fillets in the fridge, baby spinach and halomi and tomatoes from my niece, Amy... and this is what I created...





my oranges ~ not so pretty but oh the taste
 
To make you will need...

This is for 6 serves...

6  x 120g Kangaroo Fillet
180g Haloumi
500g baby spinach
3 low seed vine ripe tomatoes ~ varieties like roma or amish paste
2 oranges
1 lemon
1 tspn of Honey Lady Bush Honey
1 tspn of Australian Harvest Horseradish mustard
olive oil
salt & pepper
1/4 cup chopped chives
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley chopped


The first thing I did was cut my haloumi in half and then slice each piece into 3rds ~ a little bit of olive oil in the pan... medium to high heat and fry these babys! Watch them they only take a minute ~ turn over and brown on the other side then place on paper towel and leave... or if you are like me.. watch like a hawk so that your seagull like children don't nibble it all before dinner!






PS I love Haloumi ~ totally transforms an ordinary dish into divine with such minimal effort! My kind of food....


Haloumi Heaven

After frying your haloumi ~ no need to clean your pan~ put in your roo fillets... season them with a sprinkle of salt and a crack of pepper... don't crowd them, I cooked three at a time .... medium heat for about 5 minutes either side. Now, a word on roo - great, low fat, awesome taste, sustainable meat... on the how it should be cooked... well... chefs will say rare to blue... and I say bollocks to that - a culinary con!!! ... I don't want my roo jumping off my plate... it really can't be cooked past medium to still be edible... but really this is a personal choice thing ~ cook and try...  and find what you like...







Take your roo out and rest on a plate...

I slice the roo up for my little children but I prefer the presentation of the whole fillet for the adults and big kids...





This is medium rare roo ~ my fave way of having it!











I have an unnatural love of condiments and it is my personal opinion you can NEVER have too many... The top shelf of my fridge is filled with no less than 6 different types of chilli jam and 8 different mustards! I discovered this brand at last years Royal Adelaide Show in the Taste Pavilion... Australian Harvest do so many different types of handmade mustards... this
one with horseradish is so incredible ~ takes a sandwich to a saintly place... amazing with roasts and totally rocks in a salad dressing ~ the flavours pair perfectly with game meats and beef.... YUM!


To make the dressing...

Take the juice of one orange and the juice of  one lemon and place in a bowl ~ add the same amount of olive oil as juice... then 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of horseradish mustard and combine ~ taste and season with salt... then add in your herbs and toss through the baby spinach... I sometimes have this for breakfast with a poached egg ~ crazy combo I know but try it...

If you cant get your hands on Australian Harvests Horseradish mustard then you can substitute in 1/4 teaspoon of Newman's Horseradish and 1/2 teaspoon of a good wholegrain mustard...

To finish this meal take your tomatoes and half or quarter them and place them in the pan with the juice of an orange over medium to high heat~ deglaze the pan until the tomatoes start to brown... you don't want them falling apart  ~just warmed and a little brown...




To assemble...

Take your salad and share among your plates... place on haloumi, then roo fillet...tomatoes to the side and drizzle on pan's juices....



And enjoy.....





yours,


Honey Lady

1 comment:

  1. Id like to eat more Roo for the fact that it is lower in kg's then any other red meat but im always unsure. this recipe makes me want to try it though and I will. I'll let you know how I go :) I dont mind the odd Kanga banger!

    ReplyDelete